MBA Interview preparation - Why MBA from a manufacturing perspective

I have pursued my undergrad in mechanical engineering and am a very hands-on-oriented person. For me, learning hard skills was an important part of growth and are almost mandated in this industry. I have already gained expertise in lean manufacturing, process optimization, and frameworks after having worked with ABC organization for close to 2 years. During this time span, I have learned a lot from the mechanical and manufacturing perspective but I have always admired the way my manager approaches the same situations and on conversations with him, it became clear that I had an inclination to learn more about business concepts and garner the managerial know-how of the same and see how the business perspective works in the manufacturing industry.

Pursuing an MBA from a leading premier B-School would only serve to further hone and enhance my skills and eventually help me land a managerial position in the manufacturing industry which is where I see myself in the future and where my skillsets and previous work experience would be put to more use.

You could bring about instances where your work resulted in process improvements and helped in reducing the turnaround time of the process. In manufacturing and Operations related roles identifying the bottlenecks in the process is of crucial and paramount importance and thus it pays to have had prior work ex in the field as you would be familiar with the setting and can quickly come up to speed with the workplace and can hit the ground running as soon as possible.

Another important thing is that Ops-related roles don’t tend to prefer people who are outside the traditional catchment domains as they would not be happy or satisfied with the kind of roles offered to them. Thus you can maximize your chances of getting a shortlist for these roles and these achievements can be a useful talking point in the interviews. Ops interviews are a lot more rigorous as compared to the traditional roles barring fin and consulting and thus having prior domain exposure is of massive help.