CAP interview experience ( ALL BABY IIMs)

Name: Yash Nigam

Profile: Class X CGPA: 10 (2013), Class XII- 94.4 percent (2015), B-Tech, Mechanical Engineering, DELHI TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY (2019) with 84%, Worked for an automotive component manufacturer for 12 months and 15 days as a Graduate Engineer Trainee. CAT 2020: 97 percentile with 90 or higher in all sections.

Interview platform: Zoom

The interview panel was comprised of two people. Both were in their late forties. The interview at the common admission process was the most intense of all interview experiences I had before being admitted to a B-school. They inquired about my favorite subjects from my undergraduate studies. Thermal and Internal Combustion Engines were my choices. However, they began asking me Material Science questions, such as drawing the iron-carbon diagram. I was well-prepared and able to answer any follow-up questions. They also asked me about the capitals of various subcontinental countries. They wanted to know what green fields are and how they differ from brown and blue fields. The interview lasted approximately 35 minutes.

Result: Selected in all IIMs that come under CAP

1. Listen :- One of the most important interview strategies is to pay attention. Your interviewer is providing you with information, either directly or indirectly, from the beginning of the interview. If you don’t hear it, you’re missing out on a huge chance. Listening and letting the other person know you heard what they said are important communication skills. Pay attention to your interviewer’s manner and tempo and imitate it.
  2. Ask questions :- When asked if they have any questions, the majority of candidates respond, “No.” This is an incorrect response. Knowing how to interview entails being prepared to ask questions that reflect an interest in the company’s operations. By asking questions, you will be able to determine whether or not this is the perfect place for you. The best questions come from paying attention to what you’re being asked throughout the interview and then asking for more details.
  3. Don’t be too familiar :- The interview is a commercial encounter between two professionals. This isn’t about establishing new acquaintances. Your level of familiarity with the interviewer should match his or her demeanor. It is crucial to bring passion and energy to the interview, as well as to ask questions, but do not overstep your role as a job seeker.
  4. Learn about the company and your interviewers:- This knowledge can help you feel more at ease throughout the interview. Examine the company’s website, recent press releases, and social media posts to learn about its aims and how your background qualifies you for the position. Look for the company’s mission statement and overall goals so you may discuss them with the interviewer.