Why Are You the Best Person for the Job? Tips for Giving the Best Response

Prepare in advance. Before an interview, think carefully about what makes you an ideal candidate for the position. First, look at the job listing, and circle any key skills or qualifications. Then, look at your resume and note any particular experiences or skills that fit the job listing. Emphasize those qualifications in your answer to the question.

Share examples. It’s important to be as specific as possible when answering this question. Whether you emphasize your skills or a personality trait, be sure to provide one or two specific examples that prove you have those qualities and how you will use them in the workplace.

Ideally, your examples will come from past experiences at work. If you’re new to the job market, you can also emphasize experiences from school, extracurricular activities, or volunteer work.

Focus on how you can help the company. Avoid answers that emphasize why you want the job. Instead, focus on how you can add value to the company. To prepare for this kind of answer, make sure you have some knowledge about the company ahead of time. Take the time to review the company’s website, social media pages, and other information about the organization that’s available online.

Don’t compare yourself to others. Even though the question is about how you compare to other candidates, don’t critique the other job seekers. This can come across as negative or rude.

Instead, emphasize what makes you unique in a positive manner, without attacking or insulting other candidates. It’s important to sell your qualifications without being considered arrogant or overbearing.

Don’t say this: “Unlike some of the other candidates I’m sure you’ve seen today, I have experience in the field, which means that I can hit the ground running on day one.”

Do say: “My years of experience in this field have given me on-the-job knowledge, as well as a sense of where the industry has been and where it’s going in the future. I have the kind of technical skills that only come from doing the job for several years. I can slide seamlessly into this role and start hitting goals on my very first day.”