1. Digital marketing is a jumble of marketing expertise and nerdy tidbits. It’s a shambles. You must master both categories, and the nerdy stuff is the one that most often trips up would-be marketers. You can’t execute without it.
2. There is no such thing as an exclusive “look at me. I’m a digital marketer” club. If you can’t cross everything off this list, you’ll need to do some homework.
3. You aren’t a digital marketer yet if you can’t execute. If you’re going to achieve, you’ll need to be able to do the following:
- Instead of using WYSIWYG mode, write a blog post in code view. That is the absolute bare minimum. You should be able to code and launch a bunny-friendly responsive web page.
- Using the correct file format, resize and compress an image. It’s not enough to upload a bandwidth-hogging cat PNG.
- Explain the differences between a pageview, a session, and a unique visitor. Never use the word “hit.”
- Move a file from one computer to another without utilising drag-and-drop, e-mail, or exposing it to the entire world. FTP with encryption.
- Draw a diagram of what happens between a link being clicked and the destination page is delivered, from browser to server and back.
- Choose a language. Create a form, accept input, and submit three times to see the result. You’ll need to learn variables, templating, conditions, and loops to do so.
- Explain how to create and launch solid code and the resources needed to construct and maintain a website.
- Explain the many types of server response codes. 301. 302. 404. 500. 200. 301. 302. 404. 500. Learn how to communicate on Server.
- This isn’t a technical question. On the other hand, you had better know the difference between citing and stealing. This isn’t something you’d learn in a law school. It’s don’t-be-an-asshat advice that will keep you out of trouble with cranky people.
4. If you can check off all of these boxes, that’s fantastic. It’s not a struggle. You get to experiment with new technology. It’s entertaining. No one will be able to push you off the playground swings after you’ve mastered it.