Software engineers with backgrounds and talents in adjacent tech sectors such as data, machine learning, or web development and programming may be able to negotiate higher pay.
Developers with an advanced degree in a relevant subject or Software Engineers whose development knowledge goes together the front-end and back-end – Full Stack Engineers, in other words – may also expect a higher average compensation.
A tech professional with a few years of experience can qualify for Senior Software Engineer positions, which pay the most on average. A Senior Software Engineer’s average compensation is $129,000, which includes a $5,000 base salary and a $5,000 bonus.
Here are some typical wages for common software engineering career roles:
- Engineers in Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR): $180,000 (median salary)
- Engineers in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning: $134,000
- $130,000 for a Big Data Engineer
- $120,000 for a Cybersecurity Engineer
- $112,000 for a gaming engineer
- Engineer, Embedded and Application: $108,000
- $112,000 for a mobile engineer
- $130,000 for a Site Reliability Engineer
- $111,000 for a Front-End Software Engineer