What skills would you bring to the job?

While this is similar to questions like, “Why should we hire you?” or “What can you bring to the company?” it allows you to be more specific about your work ethic, style and unique abilities as it relates to the role.

An impactful answer will discuss your hard and soft skills and use the STAR method to illustrate how your unique skills might benefit the team or organization.

Example answer: “I can make anyone feel comfortable in a new environment, which makes me a good fit as a human resources assistant. In my previous position, a new employee came to me and told me that she didn’t think she was right for the company culture. After talking to her for a few minutes, we realized that she felt too much pressure to participate in company events. I started introducing events that involved fewer competitions and more casual environments, and she quickly grew more comfortable with her team.”

Soft skills that employers look for in candidates include people skills (the ability to get along with others), communication skills, listening skills, adaptability, empathy and a good work ethic.

Examples of skills that you could bring to the job include:

• Technical skills, like proficiency/expertise with software or online tools.
  • Soft skills, like customer service, and communication and organizational skills.
  • Leadership skills, like people or team management.

Have you been pursuing a career for a while? If so- you have probably been to one or two interviews along the way. You may realize that “what can you bring to the team” is one of the most common interview questions. Of course- some hiring managers may give this classic inquiry a spin of their own. Other phrasings for it could include “what do you have that other candidates do not” and “why would you be an asset for the company.” As you try to come up with a quality answer- you need to first understand why the hiring manager asked the question and then look at what you can do to prepare.

In order to best answer this and other interview questions- you have to practice your answers. What should you focus on as you prepare for this line of thought?

• What Makes You Unique: Throughout the interview- you will likely be working on setting yourself apart from your peers. When you answer this question- you have to do the same thing. This means focusing on skills- accomplishments or experiences only you have. Saying something like- “I am hardworking and positive” is far too cliché. It will not help you stand out. The majority of the other applicants may say the exact same thing. Take the time before you go into the interview to really think about what makes you different from the other candidates. If you simply cannot think of a unique attribute- there may still be hope for your answer.

• Application: As you think about what makes you unique- you have to also consider how you can apply those unique achievements- skills and experiences to the job at hand. You cannot just give the interviewer a list of what makes you great. You need to also highlight how those attributes will apply to the position you are trying to get at the moment. How you would apply your skills could be part of what makes you different. For example- say you are hardworking and positive. You can make this answer stand out by discussing how these attributes will help you make a positive impact on the team. Understanding how your abilities and accomplishments apply to this new position may stem from understanding how they helped you in your past positions.

• Your Value: To help you show your value clearly- you should try to give examples of your significance. Pull from past professional or academic experiences. Talk about your unique skills that directly apply to the job at hand in a story that highlights how valuable you were in other positions. If possible- you could also show your value to the team by talking about what past team members thought about working with you. You could ask a past coworker or supervisor to write a reference letter and use it as a part of your answer.

How can you best answer the “what can you bring to the team” question? Showcase your value through a story. Try to highlight your unique attributes and how they could help the team. It is important you practice answering this and other common interview questions to help you prepare for the challenging interview process.