What motivates you in a job?

This IT interview question is designed for an employer to gain an insight into your work ethic and your personality, to see if you would be the right cultural fit to the company.

When answering this question think about what really motivates you in a job, it is working with others to complete a task, working towards a target or satisfying someone’s needs?

Whatever motivates you, it’s important to frame it in a way that demonstrates your commitment to a role in IT and shows that you are a great fit for the role. It’s useful to look thoroughly over the job description to look out for the essential skills and traits employers are looking for in the role. Check out our blog post for tips on how to decrypt the job description.

Here’s our example answer:

“I’m particularly motivated by problem-solving, working in IT there are always unexpected errors and challenges that you’ll run into, I enjoy working to find out what the issues are and finding solutions to these errors. Running into errors is also a great way to learn new skills and more efficient methods of carrying out tasks.

I’m also motivated by working alongside like-minded individuals who have the same drive as myself. Through this role I hope to learn from colleagues and work as a team to deliver the best quality IT service.”