The Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is a security technology that is used to encrypt data. A network, such as online transactions, provides privacy, data integrity, and authentication.
The steps for setting up SSL encryption are as follows:
- A browser establishes a connection with an SSL-protected web server.
- In return for its own private key, the browser asks for the server’s public key.
- If it is, the browser requests that an encrypted connection be established with the web server.
- The acknowledgment is sent by the web server to begin an SSL encrypted connection.
- SSL connection between the browser and the web server commences.