An arrangement of objects, pictures, or numbers in rows and columns is called an array. Arrays are useful representations of multiplication concepts (among other ideas in mathematics).
- Arrays are the collection of similar types of data stored at contiguous memory locations.
- It is the simplest data structure where the data element can be accessed randomly just by using its index number.
Array is an indexed fixed no. of homogeneous elements.
Above is the most basic and most appropriate definition.Three key words
- indexed-Insertion order is preserved in arrays.
- Fixed No.-Size of an Array is Fixed.
- Homogeneous-Similar objects are placed inside it.eg-if we made the object of class student all objects placed inside a specified array are of student type.
But in laymen terms array is for storing elements in a specified order so that their is no problem to access.