It’s a server-side programming language that’s used to create web and application servers. We may think of Servlets as Java programmes that take requests from web servers, process them, and then return the request to the web servers after the response has been created.
Several packages, such as javax.servlet and javax.servlet, are available.
HTTP offers the necessary interfaces and classes to assist the user in the creation of a servlet. The javax.servlet interface should be implemented by all servlets. HttpServlet, Java Servlet API, and additional interfaces and classes are included in the Servlet interface.
A servlet’s execution is broken down into six steps:
- The webserver or application server receives the request from the clients.
- The request is received by the web server.
- The request is processed by the servlet, which then creates the output.
- The servlet now returns the request to the webserver.
- Finally, the server transmits the request to the client, and the result appears on the client’s screen or on any other device.