What Does Your Career Path Look Like 10 Years Down the Road?

Think of those in your company or industry who are more senior than you. Do you eventually want to be doing the type of work they’re doing?

This long-term view on your career is critical because many jobs change as you advance in your field. For example, junior investment bankers spend most of their time building financial models and client presentations, while senior bankers focus largely on sourcing deals and maintaining relationships. Even if you don’t love your current job, it may be a necessary step to develop skills that’ll help you get where you ultimately want to be.

If you don’t know what your current path looks like,with someone more experienced. These informal meetings are a great way to find out what you can expect in the future. Consider asking people what they like most about their job, the types of projects they work on, and what advice they’d give to someone in your shoes. I had a lot of informational interviews when I was in finance, and they’re what ultimately influenced me to take my career in another direction.

Determining whether to change industries is no small task, but asking yourself the three questions I’ve shared will help you make an informed decision. Are you developing a competitive advantage by maximizing your assets, your aspirations, and the market realities? How often do you think about work outside of the office? What does your career path look like in the future?

Your answers to these questions will help you understand whether you should double your efforts in your current job or start figuring out your next move.