What are lists and tuples? What is the key difference between the two?

Lists and Tuples are both sequence data types that can store a collection of objects in Python. The objects stored in both sequences can have different data types. Lists are represented with square brackets ['sara', 6, 0.19], while tuples are represented with parantheses ('ansh', 5, 0.97).
But what is the real difference between the two? The key difference between the two is that while lists are mutable, tuples on the other hand are immutable objects. This means that lists can be modified, appended or sliced on the go but tuples remain constant and cannot be modified in any manner. You can run the following example on Python IDLE to confirm the difference:

my_tuple = (‘sara’, 6, 5, 0.97)
my_list = [‘sara’, 6, 5, 0.97]
print(my_tuple[0]) # output => ‘sara’
print(my_list[0]) # output => ‘sara’
my_tuple[0] = ‘ansh’ # modifying tuple => throws an error
my_list[0] = ‘ansh’ # modifying list => list modified
print(my_tuple[0]) # output => ‘sara’
print(my_list[0]) # output => ‘ansh’

The main difference between lists and tuples is the fact that lists are mutable whereas tuples are immutable.

A mutable data type means that a python object of this type can be modified.An immutable object can’t.

There are some basic differences between lists and tuples in python.

1. Lists are written in square brackets [ ] while tuples are written in parienthesis ( )
  2. Lists are mutable while tuples are immutable
  3. There are lots of in-built methods in python for lists but very few for tuples.
  4. In place changing of any value can be done in list through its index position but not in tuple