SDE-1 Interview Experience of VISA?

I recently went through the interview process of VISA for Software Engineer.

Job Profile – Software Engineer

Location – Bangalore

The hiring process was as follows –

First Round (Online Coding Round) – 2 hours

• 4 coding questions on Recursion, BST, Number arithmetic and simple adhoc.

• 3 were easy and 4th was a bit tricky but solvable.

• Top 40 from the coding round made to the face to face interviews.

I cleared this round and then received mail for Interview rounds. The interview rounds were as follows:

First Interview (Technical) – 30 minutes

• First, she asked me to tell her about myself and give a quick introduction.

• My biggest achievement in studies after coming to college.

• Why did I choose Android development ( in response to my answer in the previous question)

• Two technical questions

1. We have a database in the form of a table that has some defined columns and numerous rows each having information about a person. The columns were the name, the department number to which he belongs, a unique ID, DOB, salary, etc.
    Then she asked me to suggest a data structure to store all the information such that given a department number, I need to output the information of all the people who belong to it.
    (Hint – Use an Array of pointers to structure).

2. Given a set of a large number of strings and a function that tells the lexicographical order between two given strings, suggest a data structure that sorts this set of strings with the least complexity.
    (Hint - Using Array of pointers).

Second Interview (Technical) – 1 hour

It started off on a light note. The interviewer asked me to describe my college. My strengths and weaknesses. Any social work done by me in college. Then we moved on to technical questions.

• What is a Data Structure? Types of data structures.

• Can a structure point to itself?

• What is it called? (After a Yes)

• Which is better, an array of pointers or a 2-D Array?

• Difference between a Mutex and a Semaphore.

• Difference between Memset and Memcopy.

After looking at my projects, he asked me why I chose Android Application development.
How do I prepare an application (he wanted to know the description like Waterfall Model)?

Afterwards he picked one of my applications and asked the following questions :

• What is different in the application?

• The problems faced.

• How did I test the application?

• Did I use any Encryption technique in the application?

• Did I make any application for iOS? What language is used?

Then he moved on to some general questions like :

• Why did I want to join VISA? After listening to my answer, he again asked me to tell him something that shows my want to join VISA.

• If I have to choose one department if I get selected, what will that be (among programming, web, android development, data structures, etc.)?

• How much important is money to me?

• How excited my family is about the company.

At the end of this round, he asked me a puzzle – How many times do the hour and minute hands cross each other in 24 hours?

Third Interview (HR) – 30 minutes

• He asked me to tell him about my family.

• How much do I know about Bangalore?

• He looked at my project and asked some basic questions which were not very technical.

• If I join VISA then what will I want to change about or add to its present system/infrastructure?

• My hobbies.

• Some discussion on football (in response to my answer regarding hobbies).

• How do I spend my weekends?

End Result

The interviews were not one of the hardest and could easily be tackled. They made me an offer for Software Engineer.