Metrics for Regression-2

Root Mean Squared Error

The Root Mean Squared Error, or RMSE, is an extension of the mean squared error.

Importantly, the square root of the error is calculated, which means that the units of the RMSE are the same as the original units of the target value that is being predicted.

For example, if your target variable has the units “dollars,” then the RMSE error score will also have the unit “dollars” and not “squared dollars” like the MSE.

As such, it may be common to use MSE loss to train a regression predictive model, and to use RMSE to evaluate and report its performance.

The RMSE can be calculated as follows:

RMSE = sqrt(1 / N * sum for i to N (y_i – yhat_i)^2)
Where y_i is the i’th expected value in the dataset, yhat_i is the i’th predicted value, and sqrt() is the square root function.

We can restate the RMSE in terms of the MSE as:

RMSE = sqrt(MSE)
Note that the RMSE cannot be calculated as the average of the square root of the mean squared error values. This is a common error made by beginners and is an example of Jensen’s inequality.

You may recall that the square root is the inverse of the square operation. MSE uses the square operation to remove the sign of each error value and to punish large errors. The square root reverses this operation, although it ensures that the result remains positive.

The root mean squared error between your expected and predicted values can be calculated using the mean_squared_error() function from the scikit-learn library.

By default, the function calculates the MSE, but we can configure it to calculate the square root of the MSE by setting the “squared” argument to False.

The function takes a one-dimensional array or list of expected values and predicted values and returns the mean squared error value.

calculate errors

errors = mean_squared_error(expected, predicted, squared=False)
The example below gives an example of calculating the root mean squared error between a list of contrived expected and predicted values.

example of calculate the root mean squared error

from sklearn.metrics import mean_squared_error

real value

expected = [1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0]

predicted value

predicted = [1.0, 0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0]

calculate errors

errors = mean_squared_error(expected, predicted, squared=False)

report error

print(errors)
Running the example calculates and prints the root mean squared error.

A perfect RMSE value is 0.0, which means that all predictions matched the expected values exactly.

This is almost never the case, and if it happens, it suggests your predictive modeling problem is trivial.

A good RMSE is relative to your specific dataset.

It is a good idea to first establish a baseline RMSE for your dataset using a naive predictive model, such as predicting the mean target value from the training dataset. A model that achieves an RMSE better than the RMSE for the naive model has skill.