In general What kind of work environment do you like best?

The aim of this question is to assess whether you’ll fit in the company’s working environment.

For example, some organizations are pretty structured and hierarchical, they require tight organization and have a well-planned day filled with rules and guidelines on how to do things.

If you’re the creative, think-out-of-the-box type who likes to break the rules and innovate, this is probably not going to cut it for you.

On the other hand, some companies are more laid back, with a lot less bureaucracy. “Go get us more sales” can actually be your main duty for the week if you’re working in an early stage startup.

If you’re the type who prefers to have strict to-dos and objectives, you probably won’t enjoy such a job.

So, the takeaway? Different people work best in different environments, and that’s okay.

Before you go to the interview, go through the company’s website and social media pages to get a sense of the general vibe and environment there.

Look at employee reviews on GlassDoor, or if you know someone already working there, ask them.

Depending on what you learn, answer accordingly.

I work best in smaller companies. I really dislike the corporate world - rules, guidelines, SOPs, and so on. I perform best when I have a certain level of freedom to do things. Want to find innovative solutions to problems you didn’t even know you had? I’m your guy.*

Want someone to just blindly follow instructions and do what they’re told? Then we’d probably not be a good fit.