Interviews may be challenging, but the first one can be both exciting and unpredictable. What is more important here is that you approach it correctly. Understanding the major areas to focus on while preparing for your first job interview is essential.
1. Be honest on your resume:
You have to be confident about everything mentioned on your resume so don’t add something you don’t know, just be honest.
2. Carefully plan your introduction:
- Once you have your CV ready, write a self-introduction, it should be quick and decent enough. Self-introductions that are too long are not heard and may appear dull.
- Highlight your abilities, whether they are technical or non-technical.
3. "Why do you want this job?"
A two-part answer is a solid method to frame this response. “First, let me explain why I am passionate about [firm], and then I’ll explain why I believe [position] is an ideal fit for me.”
4. Have essential knowledge of the organization:
Read up on the company profile for which you will be appearing. Read about the many industries that the firm operates in, the name of the CEO, where the company is situated, why the company was recently in the news, and so on.
5. Prepare well for the technical round:
Make a list of the technical questions that are likely to be asked. Do this three to four days before the interview. Prepare responses for them and be comprehensive with the basics of the areas you mentioned on your CV.
6. HR round:
The HR round is really important. Look for the most frequently asked HR questions (you can get them from various sources). Prepare a few sentences to support your answer or opinion for each response.
Things to keep in mind:
- Be optimistic and confident.
- Showcase appropriate body language by sitting properly and maintaining eye contact. Maintain a friendly approach and a gentle smile on your face.
- Be truthful.
- Be punctual.
- Be considerate.
- Pay attention and carefully listen to them. If you don’t understand a question, politely ask for clarification.
- Just keep these things in mind and plan ahead of time. Give it your all and don’t give up.