How to build a basic model using Naive Bayes in Python and R?

Again, scikit learn (python library) will help here to build a Naive Bayes model in Python. There are three types of Naive Bayes model under the scikit-learn library:

• **[Gaussian:
  • [Multinomial: It is used for discrete counts. For example, let’s say, we have a text classification problem. Here we can consider Bernoulli trials which is one step further and instead of “word occurring in the document”, we have “count how often word occurs in the document”, you can think of it as “number of times outcome number x_i is observed over the n trials”.
  • [Bernoulli: The binomial model is useful if your feature vectors are binary (i.e. zeros and ones). One application would be text classification with ‘bag of words’ model where the 1s & 0s are “word occurs in the document” and “word does not occur in the document” respectively.

Python Code:

Try out the below code in the coding window and check your results on the fly!
Above, we looked at the basic Naive Bayes model, you can improve the power of this basic model by tuning parameters and handle assumption intelligently. Let’s look at the methods to improve the performance of Naive Bayes Model. I’d recommend you to go through [this document for more details on Text classification using Naive Bayes.