How to Answer the ‘How Did You Hear About This Position’ Interview Question

Appear excited
Your future employer wants you to be passionate about the work you are about to perform. You are expected to be self-motivated and invested in the job everyday. So, irrespective of where or how you heard about this job opening, try and be explicit about what caught your eye about the position. Describe about yourself and your intent carefully.

Also, explain why you are interviewing for the post, what made you decide to apply for this position and why should they hire you. This would show a potential employer that you have actively looked around for this role as a viable career opportunity and that you have put a great deal of thought into why you want this job. So mark your major pointers and answer accordingly.

Do some name-dropping
Heard about the employment opportunity from someone influential or who already works in the company? Drop their name! Your connection’s name is a proof that you already have strong professional contacts! Also, it is a proof that you took an initiative to network in the company before joining.

Don’t be vague
While answering “How did you hear about this position?”, do not give vague one word answers. Act excited when you are asked this questions as if the opportunity to answer it was what you were waiting for.

In case you cannot remember where you came across the job, speak up the truth! It is fine! Don’t make up a story as even an iota of dishonesty while answering this interview question can backfire any moment.

Answering “How Did You Hear About Us?” – Sample Answers
1.I was looking actively for jobs and found it on a job board. I saw it on a career website. I saw this opening while searching for jobs on job portals or on Google. That is how I first saw this job.
2.I have a colleague or friend in a company who suggested me to apply for the same. They just mentioned that you were hiring.
3.I have a colleague or friend who doesn’t work in your company right now, but heard that you were hiring and suggested me to apply.
4.I read an article or a press release, or saw a news piece on a trusted source saying that you were hiring.
5.I read an article or a news source that made me interested in your company in general, so I decided to look for job openings with you. Hence I applied and I am here.
6.I was contacted by a recruiter who put me in touch with your company or made me aware of this company.
7.I was visiting your company’s website for another reason and saw the “Careers” page and this job was listed on it.
8.I like this company in general and went to the website “Careers” page specifically to look for a job opening because I’d like to work for you.
9.I saw an advertisement for a job opening (on Naukri, Firstnaukri, Facebook, Twitter etc.)
10.I was familiar with your company via a previous work experience (for example, if they were a competitor of mine in a previous job or if I interned with them once).