How can I get a Twitter account verified?

Everyone wants to get their Twitter account verified. The blue star next to your name is an instant indicator of credibility, right? So how do you get a blue star on Twitter?

The first step in getting verified is to submit your request through the form at https://support.twitter.com/forms/verify . This is generally as simple as entering your username, and clicking Send Tweet (the only problem with that last part is it’ll publicly post a link to anyone who can see this page). Once you’ve sent the tweet, sit back and relax while you wait for a response from Twitter’s support team. The turnaround time will vary depending on how busy they are. For small accounts, I’ve heard a range of two weeks to 10 days.
Unfortunately for most of us, that’s the only part where we can relax. The second step requires you to verify your identity within a certain amount of time from them sending the requested email (or within a given number of attempts, which has been as low as two, and I’ve heard up to 30). They’ll ask you to do one or more of the following:

1. Email megan@twitter.com with an image/video verifying that you are behind this account (Twitter will not give out personal information like what they want via email, so if they mention something specific in their message, then send that along with a photo/video showing it). If you have multiple accounts backed by different emails, be careful not to send the same picture/video of you to them because it’s likely that they’ll assume you’re trying to get around their verification process and not verify anything at all.

2. Call 665-7603 (or 1-(800)-450-7352 if outside CA) with a four-digit PIN that Twitter will provide via email. This is only really useful for people who want to verify their accounts from other countries or where an internet connection isn’t readily available. You may be able to use Skype or another service along those lines as well, but I’m not sure if Twitter considers such services acceptable substitutes for this option.

3. Upload a scan of an official document (like a driver’s license, passport, etc.) that can be easily verified as belonging to you. This is the one most people will use (including me, even though I’m not in any country where this applies). If you’re outside of the US, some non-US government-issued picture IDs may work instead (like a Mexican Consulate ID card or something from your university’s library card).

4. Take a video of yourself saying a common phrase or saying your full name. Twitter recommends using their app for this, but it doesn’t matter how you do it so long as they can hear and see who it is. Be careful not to repeat things like names or family members repeatedly if doing things live on stream because doing so could cause your verification to fail (which has happened to me before).

5. A combination of 1-4. Some people have reported success by doing various one or two proof methods from the list above, plus a picture with their Twitter profile visible on their computer screen in the background. To clarify, this means you can take a video via your phone and show yourself holding up your ID card. You don’t need to take another separate video showing only the ID if you already have that part covered in another way.