Natural language processing (NLP) is a subfield of Artificial Intelligence (AI). This is a widely used technology for personal assistants that are used in various business fields/areas. This technology works on the speech provided by the user breaks it down for proper understanding and processes it accordingly. This is a very recent and effective approach due to which it has a really high demand in today’s market.
- Natural Language Processing is an upcoming field where already many transitions such as compatibility with smart devices, and interactive talks with a human have been made possible.
- Knowledge representation, logical reasoning, and constraint satisfaction were the emphasis of AI applications in NLP. Here first it was applied to semantics and later to grammar. In the last decade, a significant change in NLP research has resulted in the widespread use of statistical approaches such as machine learning and data mining on a massive scale.
- The need for automation is never-ending courtesy of the amount of work required to be done these days. NLP is a very favorable, but aspect when it comes to automated applications.
- The applications of NLP have led it to be one of the most sought-after methods of implementing machine learning. Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a field that combines computer science, linguistics, and machine learning to study how computers and humans communicate in natural language.
- The goal of NLP is for computers to be able to interpret and generate human language. This not only improves the efficiency of work done by humans but also helps in interacting with the machine. NLP bridges the gap of interaction between humans and electronic devices.
The field is divided into three different parts:
- Speech Recognition — The translation of spoken language into text.
- Natural Language Understanding (NLU) — The computer’s ability to understand what we say.
- Natural Language Generation (NLG) — The generation of natural language by a computer.
NLU and NLG are the key aspects depicting the working of NLP devices. These 2 aspects are very different from each other and are achieved using different methods.
Technologies related to Natural Language Processing:
- Machine Translation: NLP is used for language translation from one language to another through a computer.
- Chatterbots: NLP is used for chatter bots that communicate with other chat bots or humans through auditory or textual methods.
- AI Software: NLP is used in question-answering software for knowledge representation, analytical reasoning as well as information retrieval.