OS falls into various categories :
- Batch Operating System- Sequence of jobs in a program on a computer without manual interventions.
- Multi-tasking OS - allows many users to share computer resources. (Max utilization of the resources).
- Multi-programming OS - Manages a group of different computers and makes appear to be a single computer.
- Network operating system- computers running in different operating systems can participate in a common network (It is used for security purposes).
- Real-time operating system – meant applications to fix the deadlines.
- Spooling based Systems
Examples of Operating System are –
- Windows (GUI based, PC)
- GNU/Linux (Personal, Workstations, ISP, File and print server,)
- macOS (Macintosh), used for Apple’s personal computers and workstations (MacBook, iMac).
- Android (Google’s Operating System for smartphones/tablets/smartwatches)
- iOS (Apple’s OS for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch)