Demonstrate Your Management Mindset

Being a manager entails a lot of responsibility, so it’s a good idea to let the hiring manager know that you recognize that when talking about why you want to be a manager. Explain what your theory of management is, and how you plan to lead and manage a team to success. Perhaps highlight some leadership challenges you have seen or dealt with, and explain how you would handle it differently.

“Try to spin it where your time as a team member will give you a complete understanding on how to motivate your team,” says Pierre Tremblay, Director of Human Resources at DUPRAY Inc.

Bad Answer: I want more responsibility, and I’ll do a better job than the last manager.

Good Answer: I am prepared to take on the added responsibilities of being a manager. Rather than the current weekly progress meetings, I would like to have a daily team meetings to ensure that the project is moving along as it should and address any issues.

Moving into a managerial position is a big and exciting career development. The first step towards achieving that goal is answering that question, “Why do you want to be a manager?” Follow these interview tips, and it will be clear to the interviewer that you are management material.

Whether you’re new to the workforce or an experienced professional, JobHero is here to help you make the most of your career. Come to us for thousands of resume samples, job-specific cover letter samples and many more helpful career resources.