Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Location not specified]
Application Process: [Application process details not provided]
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Technical Interview:
-
Questions Asked: Technical questions and “if-then” scenarios.
-
Your Approach: Prepared by reviewing technical concepts relevant to product management and practicing scenario-based questions.
-
Outcome: Advanced to the next round.
-
Round 2 - All-Day Interview:
-
Questions Asked: Met with different employees, including the manager, and had lunch with the manager. Questions covered work environment, benefits, workload, and delivery expectations.
-
Your Approach: Engaged actively, asked thoughtful questions about the role and company culture, and tried to showcase my problem-solving skills.
-
Outcome: Successfully completed the round.
-
Round 3 - Skills, IQ, and Background Tests:
-
Questions Asked: Skills test, IQ test, drug test, background check, and criminal check.
-
Your Approach: Prepared for the skills and IQ tests by practicing beforehand. Ensured all documentation was ready for the background checks.
-
Outcome: Cleared all tests.
Preparation Tips:
- Review technical concepts relevant to product management.
- Practice scenario-based questions to handle “if-then” situations.
- Prepare questions to ask about the company, role, and work culture.
- Be ready for skills and IQ tests by practicing sample questions.
Conclusion:
The interview process was thorough and covered various aspects, from technical skills to cultural fit. What worked well was my preparation for scenario-based questions and my active engagement during the all-day interview. For future candidates, I’d recommend focusing on both technical and soft skills, as well as being prepared for a rigorous testing process.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Location not specified]
Application Process: The hiring process took place during the “2000 gogo days.” Cisco’s interview process is 360-degree, meaning at least five individual staff members—whom you would partner with, work with, or report to—must approve of you. Once this stage is completed, the hiring manager has the final veto power. In my case, I was hired and received an offer letter on the same day.
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - 360-Degree Evaluation:
- Questions Asked: The questions were focused on collaboration, teamwork, and how I would fit into the role of a Product Manager. Specific questions weren’t detailed, but the emphasis was on interpersonal and functional skills.
- Your Approach: I highlighted my past experiences in product management, emphasizing collaboration, stakeholder management, and problem-solving. I also aligned my responses with Cisco’s values and culture.
- Outcome: Successfully passed the evaluation and moved forward in the process.
Conclusion:
The interview process was thorough but efficient, with a strong focus on cultural fit and teamwork. The 360-degree evaluation ensured that I was assessed by multiple stakeholders, which added credibility to the hiring decision. My advice for future candidates is to thoroughly research Cisco’s values and be prepared to demonstrate how you align with them. Also, be ready to showcase your ability to collaborate across teams, as this is a critical aspect of the role.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through an online application process.
Interview Rounds:
Conclusion:
The interview experience was unusual, with a significant shift from professional to personal questions. It would have been helpful to clarify the interview format beforehand. Future candidates should be prepared for unexpected turns and try to maintain professionalism even if the interview strays from the expected path.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Location not specified]
Application Process: The interview scheduling process took approximately 3 weeks to finalize. The schedule was even changed after the confirmation email due to the interviewer’s availability.
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - Managerial Interview:
- Questions Asked: The interview was conducted with two managers who appeared disinterested from the start. The flow of the interview was unstructured, and no significant questions related to experience or past work were asked (e.g., “Have you done this before?”).
- Your Approach: Despite the lack of engagement, I tried to steer the conversation toward my relevant skills and experience, but the interviewers seemed eager to end the session early.
- Outcome: Did not pass. Feedback cited “Japanese not fluent enough” (despite the entire interview being conducted in Japanese without communication issues) and “insufficient relevant work experience” (despite no questions being asked about past experience).
Conclusion:
The overall experience was disappointing and unprofessional. The interviewers’ lack of engagement and failure to ask relevant questions made it difficult to showcase my qualifications. For future candidates, I would advise preparing for potential disinterest from interviewers and trying to proactively highlight your experience, even if not directly asked. However, in this case, the outcome seemed predetermined, which was frustrating.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Location not specified]
Application Process: [Details not provided]
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Hiring Manager Interview:
-
Questions Asked: The hiring manager focused on skills required to execute the role effectively. The questions were straightforward and aligned with the responsibilities of a Product Manager.
-
Your Approach: The hiring manager was warm and humble, which made the interview comfortable. She also provided background and personality insights about the other interviewers, which helped in preparing for subsequent rounds.
-
Outcome: The round went well, and the hiring manager was prompt in providing feedback.
Preparation Tips:
- Focus on understanding the core skills required for the role and be prepared to demonstrate them.
- Research the company and the specific team you’re interviewing with to align your answers with their goals.
- Take note of any background or personality insights provided by the hiring manager to tailor your approach in later rounds.
Conclusion:
The overall interview experience was positive, with a supportive and professional hiring manager. The process was efficient, and feedback was provided quickly. For future candidates, I’d recommend being well-prepared for skill-based questions and leveraging any insights shared by the interviewers to tailor your responses effectively.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: The process began with a phone screen, followed by on-site interviews with multiple team members and managers. Out of 100 candidates, only three positions were available.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Phone Screen (Peer to Hiring Manager):
-
Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and interest in the role. Also, some situational questions about product management scenarios.
-
Your Approach: I focused on highlighting my relevant experience and how it aligns with the role. For situational questions, I used the STAR method to structure my answers.
-
Outcome: Passed this round and was invited for on-site interviews.
-
Round 2 - On-Site Interviews (PMO Team Members):
-
Questions Asked: A mix of technical and behavioral questions, including product strategy, stakeholder management, and problem-solving scenarios.
-
Your Approach: I prepared by reviewing common product management frameworks and practiced articulating my thought process clearly. For behavioral questions, I used specific examples from my past work.
-
Outcome: Advanced to the final round.
-
Round 3 - On-Site Interviews (Hiring Manager & Second-Line Manager):
-
Questions Asked: Deeper discussions about product vision, leadership style, and how I would handle challenges in the role. Also, some case-study-like questions.
-
Your Approach: I emphasized my strategic thinking and leadership skills, tying them back to the company’s goals. For case studies, I walked through my reasoning step-by-step.
-
Outcome: Selected for one of the three open positions.
Preparation Tips:
- Review common product management frameworks (e.g., prioritization, roadmapping).
- Practice behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Be ready to discuss your past experiences in detail, especially those relevant to the role.
Conclusion:
Overall, the process was rigorous but well-structured. I found that being clear and concise in my answers, along with thorough preparation, made a big difference. For future candidates, I’d recommend practicing case studies and being ready to demonstrate how your experience aligns with the company’s needs.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Location not specified]
Application Process: [Application process details not provided]
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - General Interview:
- Questions Asked: The questions were easy, comfortable, and welcoming. The interviewers were thorough and helpful in guiding the conversation.
- Your Approach: I focused on being open and honest about my experiences and skills, ensuring I communicated my fit for the role clearly.
- Outcome: The round went well, and the interviewers were supportive in determining the next steps.
Conclusion:
The overall experience with Cisco was very positive. The interviewers were welcoming and made the process comfortable. I felt they were genuinely interested in finding the right fit for the role. For future candidates, I’d recommend being yourself and clearly articulating how your skills align with the Product Manager role. It’s a great company to interview with!
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal.
Interview Rounds:
Preparation Tips:
- Practiced behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Reviewed case interview frameworks like CIRCLES and market sizing techniques.
- Researched Cisco’s products and recent updates to align my answers with their context.
Conclusion:
The interviewers were friendly and made the process comfortable. I felt well-prepared, but I could have practiced more case studies to improve my confidence. Overall, it was a great learning experience!
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Not specified]
Application Process: My resume was sent in by a friend, which led to the hiring process.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Hiring Manager Interview:
- Questions Asked: Focused on my suitability for the role. I was also given the opportunity to ask preliminary questions.
- Your Approach: I highlighted my relevant experience and skills, aligning them with the role’s requirements. I also used the opportunity to clarify expectations.
- Outcome: Passed to the next round.
-
Round 2 - HR Interview:
- Questions Asked: Relating to my past experience, career plans, growth opportunities, and employee policies.
- Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and professional, ensuring I conveyed my long-term career goals and how they align with Cisco.
- Outcome: Moved forward to the next round.
-
Round 3 - Hiring Manager & Peers Interview (In-Person):
- Questions Asked: Primarily about my past experience to validate my suitability for the role. I was encouraged to ask detailed questions as well.
- Your Approach: I provided specific examples from my past roles to demonstrate my capabilities. I also asked insightful questions about the team and role.
- Outcome: Advanced to the final round.
-
Round 4 - Engineering Managers & Directors Interview (Video Conference):
- Questions Asked: Focused on my understanding and experience with technology.
- Your Approach: I showcased my technical knowledge and how it applies to product management. I also emphasized my ability to bridge the gap between engineering and business.
- Outcome: Successfully cleared the round.
Preparation Tips:
- Research the company’s products and culture thoroughly.
- Prepare to discuss your past experiences in detail, especially those relevant to product management.
- Be ready to ask thoughtful questions about the role and team dynamics.
Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was structured and insightful. The key to success was aligning my experience with the role’s expectations and demonstrating my ability to collaborate across teams. I recommend future candidates to focus on their problem-solving skills and be prepared to discuss their technical understanding in the context of product management.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: I applied through a combination of online application and referrals. The process kicked off with multiple phone interviews followed by two offsite interviews.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Phone Interview (Informal):
- Questions Asked: The interviewer asked about my background, why I was interested in the role, and my previous experience relevant to product management.
- Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and focused on aligning my skills with the role’s requirements. I also asked questions about the team and company culture to show my interest.
- Outcome: Passed to the next round.
-
Round 2 - Phone Interview (Informal):
- Questions Asked: Similar to the first round, with additional focus on how I handle cross-functional collaboration and prioritize product features.
- Your Approach: I shared specific examples from my past work to demonstrate my ability to collaborate and prioritize effectively.
- Outcome: Advanced to the offsite interviews.
-
Round 3 - Offsite Interview (Technical/Behavioral):
- Questions Asked:
- “How would you define the vision for a new product?”
- “Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision about a product feature.”
- “How do you gather and incorporate customer feedback into product development?”
- Your Approach: I structured my answers using the STAR method to provide clear and impactful responses. I also emphasized my analytical and customer-centric approach.
- Outcome: Successfully moved to the final round.
-
Round 4 - Offsite Interview (Case Study):
- Questions Asked: I was given a hypothetical product scenario and asked to outline a go-to-market strategy.
- Your Approach: I broke down the problem into key components (target audience, value proposition, channels) and presented a structured plan.
- Outcome: Received positive feedback and moved forward in the process.
Preparation Tips:
- Brush up on product management frameworks (e.g., AARRR, RICE).
- Practice case studies and behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Research Cisco’s products and recent news to tailor your answers.
Conclusion:
Overall, the process was smooth and well-structured. The informal phone rounds were great for building rapport, while the offsite interviews tested both technical and strategic thinking. I’d advise future candidates to focus on clear communication and real-world examples to stand out. Good luck!
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: I was referred by an acquaintance who is an employee at Cisco. A recruiter contacted me after the referral, and the interview process began from there.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Initial Phone Interview:
- Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and interest in the role. The recruiter also asked about my familiarity with Cisco’s products and the challenges I might anticipate in the role.
- Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and focused on my relevant experience. I also did some research on Cisco’s product line beforehand to tailor my responses.
- Outcome: Passed and moved to the next round.
-
Round 2 - In-Person Interview with Manager 1:
- Questions Asked: More in-depth questions about my product management experience, how I prioritize tasks, and how I handle cross-functional teams. There were also hypothetical scenarios to assess my problem-solving skills.
- Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided examples from my past work to demonstrate my skills.
- Outcome: Passed and advanced to the next round.
-
Round 3 - In-Person Interview with Manager 2:
- Questions Asked: Focused on strategic thinking, such as how I would launch a new product or improve an existing one. There were also questions about stakeholder management and metrics for success.
- Your Approach: I emphasized my ability to think strategically and provided data-driven examples to support my answers.
- Outcome: Passed and moved to the final round.
-
Round 4 - In-Person Interview with Manager 3:
- Questions Asked: This round was more about cultural fit and leadership style. Questions included how I handle conflicts, my approach to mentorship, and my long-term career goals.
- Your Approach: I was honest about my leadership philosophy and shared personal anecdotes to illustrate my points.
- Outcome: Passed and received a job offer about a week later.
Preparation Tips:
- Research the company’s products and recent news to tailor your answers.
- Practice using the STAR method for behavioral questions.
- Be ready to discuss your experience with cross-functional teams and stakeholder management.
Conclusion:
The process was straightforward and well-organized. I felt prepared because I researched the company and practiced my responses. My advice for future candidates is to focus on clear communication and provide concrete examples from your experience. Negotiating the offer was smooth, and I started the role shortly after accepting.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through an online application process.
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - Phone Interview:
- Questions Asked: The interview involved a series of detailed questions repeated across multiple calls with different interviewers.
- Your Approach: Answered all questions thoroughly and provided detailed responses based on my experience.
- Outcome: No follow-up or feedback received after the interviews. The company went silent.
Conclusion:
The interview process was lengthy and repetitive, involving multiple rounds of similar questions. Unfortunately, there was no communication or feedback afterward, which was disappointing. Later, I learned about layoffs at the company, which might explain the lack of response. My advice for future candidates is to be prepared for a rigorous process and to manage expectations regarding follow-ups.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Not specified]
Application Process: Applied through an online application process.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Behavioral Interview (Zoom Meeting):
- Questions Asked:
- How do you handle conflict in a team setting?
- Describe a situation where you had to take over an existing project.
- Can you share an example of a project that failed and what you learned from it?
- Your Approach: I focused on providing structured responses using the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to ensure clarity and relevance. For the conflict question, I highlighted a past team disagreement and how I facilitated a resolution. For the project takeover, I discussed my onboarding process and how I identified key areas for improvement. For the failed project, I emphasized the lessons learned and how they influenced my future work.
- Outcome: Successfully advanced to the next round.
-
Round 2 - Technical/Behavioral Interview (Zoom Meeting):
- Questions Asked:
- High-level technical questions about product management frameworks.
- How do you prioritize features in a product roadmap?
- Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision with limited data.
- Your Approach: For the technical questions, I referenced popular frameworks like RICE or MoSCoW for prioritization. For the tough decision question, I shared a real-life scenario where I had to rely on intuition and stakeholder feedback due to incomplete data.
- Outcome: Progressed to the final round.
-
Round 3 - Team Fit Interview (Zoom Meeting):
- Questions Asked:
- How do you collaborate with cross-functional teams?
- What motivates you to work in product management?
- Hypothetical scenario: How would you handle a situation where engineering and design teams disagree on a feature?
- Your Approach: I emphasized my collaborative mindset and shared examples of successful cross-functional projects. For the hypothetical scenario, I outlined a step-by-step approach to mediate the disagreement and align both teams on common goals.
- Outcome: Awaiting final decision.
Preparation Tips:
- Practiced behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Reviewed product management frameworks and case studies.
- Researched Cisco’s product portfolio and recent news to tailor my responses.
Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was thorough but engaging. The behavioral questions were a significant focus, so I’d advise future candidates to prepare well for those. I could have spent more time on hypothetical scenarios, as they were quite prominent in the later rounds. Networking with current employees beforehand might also provide additional insights into the company culture.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Not specified]
Application Process:
I met Cisco recruiters at the career fair and had an interview with two recruiters the following day on campus.
Interview Rounds:
Preparation Tips:
- Research the company and the role thoroughly.
- Practice behavioral questions using the STAR method.
- Be prepared to discuss your past experiences in detail and how they relate to the position.
Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was smooth and focused on fit and experience. The recruiters and hiring managers were very interested in understanding my background and how I would contribute to their teams. My advice for future candidates is to be authentic and clearly articulate your value and fit for the role.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal. The process was straightforward, and I received a response within a couple of weeks.
Interview Rounds:
Preparation Tips:
- Practice answering questions in the STAR format.
- Research Cisco’s products and culture thoroughly.
- Be prepared to ask insightful questions about the role and the company.
Conclusion:
The interview process was smooth, and the interviewers were very friendly. I made sure to stay enthusiastic and ask questions, which seemed to resonate well. If I could do anything differently, I would dive deeper into Cisco’s recent product launches to show more specific interest. Overall, it was a great learning experience!
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through campus placement.
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - HR Interview:
- Questions Asked:
- Tell me about yourself.
- Describe a project you worked on and your role in it.
- Situational questions about handling team conflicts and decision-making.
- Your Approach:
- Prepared a concise introduction highlighting my background and key experiences.
- Shared a detailed story about a project, focusing on my contributions and teamwork.
- Used the STAR method to answer situational questions, ensuring clarity and relevance.
- Outcome: Passed the round with positive feedback on my communication and problem-solving skills.
Preparation Tips:
- Prepare interesting stories about yourself and your team experiences.
- Use the STAR method for situational questions to structure your answers effectively.
- Be concise and clear in your responses.
Conclusion:
The interview was a great learning experience. I felt well-prepared, especially with my stories and situational responses. For future candidates, I’d recommend practicing storytelling and situational questions to build confidence.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: The application process began with a recorded video interview, followed by a live video chat interview.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Recorded Video Interview:
-
Questions Asked: The questions were standard behavioral and situational, focusing on past experiences and how I would handle certain product management scenarios.
-
Your Approach: I answered the questions by drawing from my previous experiences and tried to structure my responses using the STAR method.
-
Outcome: I passed this round and was invited to the live video chat interview.
-
Round 2 - Live Video Chat Interview:
-
Questions Asked: The interviewer, a technical Product Manager, asked about my technical background, how I prioritize features, and how I handle conflicts within a team.
-
Your Approach: I tried to stay composed and answered the questions as clearly as possible, despite the interviewer’s condescending tone. I emphasized my ability to collaborate and my problem-solving skills.
-
Outcome: The interviewer’s attitude made the experience unpleasant, and unfortunately, I did not move forward in the process.
Conclusion:
Overall, the experience was mixed. The recorded interview round was straightforward, but the live interview was challenging due to the interviewer’s demeanor. For future candidates, I’d advise preparing thoroughly for technical PM questions and staying calm under pressure, even if the interviewer isn’t the most supportive.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: The application process involved a series of technical interviews followed by a manager interview.
Interview Rounds:
Preparation Tips:
- Brush up on technical concepts relevant to the Product Manager role.
- Be ready to discuss your past experiences and how they align with the job requirements.
- Treat the manager interview as a conversation to showcase your fit for the role and team.
Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was smooth, and the manager round was particularly enjoyable due to its conversational nature. I would advise future candidates to focus on aligning their experiences with the role and to approach the manager interview with confidence and curiosity.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal after seeing the job posting online.
Interview Rounds:
- Round 1 - Technical Interview:
- Questions Asked:
- Started with behavioral questions like “Tell me about a time you led a project.”
- Moved to technical questions, such as designing a feature for an existing product and explaining the trade-offs.
- Asked to walk through my thought process step-by-step for the solution I proposed.
- Your Approach:
- For behavioral questions, I used the STAR method to structure my answers.
- For the technical part, I focused on user needs first, then discussed feasibility and scalability. I made sure to justify every decision I made.
- Outcome: Passed this round and moved to the next stage.
Preparation Tips:
- Practiced behavioral questions using the STAR method to keep answers concise and impactful.
- Reviewed product management frameworks (e.g., PRD templates, prioritization techniques) to structure my technical responses.
- Brushed up on system design basics to handle any unexpected technical deep dives.
Conclusion:
Overall, the interview was challenging but fair. I felt well-prepared for the behavioral questions but realized I could have practiced more technical case studies. My advice for future candidates is to balance preparation between behavioral and technical aspects, as both are equally important for this role.
Company Name: Cisco
Position: Product Manager
Location: [Not specified]
Application Process: The candidate applied for the position through an unspecified method, but the interviews were scheduled one week in advance, and the candidate confirmed their availability beforehand.
Interview Rounds:
-
Round 1 - Managerial Interview (Telepresence):
-
Questions Asked: Questions about the candidate’s experience, background, and expectations about the work.
-
Your Approach: The candidate engaged in a professional and polite manner, aligning their responses with their experience and the role’s requirements.
-
Outcome: The candidate successfully navigated the interview, with all managers being punctual and courteous despite tight schedules.
-
Round 2 - Managerial Interview (Telepresence):
-
Questions Asked: Similar to the first round, focusing on experience and alignment with the role.
-
Your Approach: Maintained consistency in responses and professionalism.
-
Outcome: Positive interaction, with no delays or issues reported.
-
Round 3 - Managerial Interview (Telepresence):
-
Questions Asked: Continued exploration of the candidate’s background and expectations.
-
Your Approach: Reinforced key points from previous rounds while addressing new queries.
-
Outcome: Smooth and productive discussion.
-
Round 4 - Managerial Interview (Telepresence):
-
Questions Asked: Final round of questions about the candidate’s fit for the role and company culture.
-
Your Approach: Highlighted enthusiasm for the role and alignment with Cisco’s values.
-
Outcome: Concluded the interview process on a positive note.
Preparation Tips:
- Research the company’s culture and values to align responses accordingly.
- Be prepared to discuss your experience and expectations in detail.
- Practice teleconference etiquette, as Cisco uses telepresence for interviews.
Conclusion:
The overall experience was highly professional, with all managers being punctual and respectful. The candidate felt well-prepared and appreciated the structured scheduling process. For future candidates, it’s advisable to thoroughly research the company and practice clear communication for telepresence interviews.