Can you tell me about a difficult work situation and how you overcame it?

This question is often used to assess how well you perform under pressure as well as your problem-solving abilities. Keep in mind stories are more memorable than facts and figures so strive to ‘show’ instead of ‘tell’. This is also an excellent opportunity to show your human side and how you’re willing to go the extra mile without being asked.

Example: “It was the first day of my boss’s two-week vacation and our agency’s highest-paying client threatened to leave because he didn’t feel he was getting the personalised service he was promised. I spent my lunch hour on the phone with him talking through his concerns. We even brainstormed ideas for his next campaign. He was so grateful for the personal attention that he signed another six-month contract before my boss even returned from her trip.”

An interviewer assesses the candidate very closely on how well they know about themselves and how they have been building upon their personality and capabilities throughout their life and career. This speaks of the ability to evolve and learn from your mistakes, and at the same time, being able to document well enough to remind and present it to others who might be looking for some motivation from them. These are signs of a leader, and a desirable trait.

So, when you are asked about a personal or a professional challenge you have faced in your life and workplace and how did you overcome it, have some background prepared to answer this fluently.

If you are a fresher, think about a particular subject or topic which you found challenging, and later devoted time, or asked for someone’s help, or refer to some mentor for advice to tackle it. This would showcase you as a hard worker or a person open to suggestions to make a better version of himself or herself.

If you have work experience, think about a particular project work that had troubled you for the lack of understanding, skill or any other reason, and how you overcame it by understanding the root cause of it, taking help from a colleague who had faced similar problem or had experience with such an issue. This will present you as a person who enjoys updating his or her professional skills and doesn’t hesitate to seek advice from field experts, which are good signs of a reasonable employee.