Being prepared for potential job interview questions can help you come up with great answers. Here are a few steps to take to successfully answer this question:
- Understand the job: Look over the job description and note keywords that the hiring manager will want to hear that also align with your own skill set. This will reinforce that you’re a perfect fit for the role.
- Research the company: Doing so will provide a clearer understanding of various aspects of the company, its culture, and its long-term goals and strategies. Most company websites also include a mission statement and bios of company leaders that may inspire you. You can find keywords on the website as well that you can incorporate into your answers.
- Explore their media coverage: Search beyond the company website and learn how the company and its leaders are viewed by the media and the public. Research media coverage, press releases, and social media presence on various platforms.
- Reach out to your network: If you’ve been in a specific industry for a while, there’s a good chance that your network overlaps or has connections to the company where you’re interviewing. There are multiple social media platforms that will show those connections; create a list of people you can reach out to in order to get more information.
- Outline your career path: Consider where you see yourself in a year, three years, and five years in your career. What are the roles you need in your career trajectory to achieve those goals?
- Find alignment: After looking through all your research of the company and the people who work there, what aspects align with your career timeline? What keywords from their website and media coverage can you highlight to connect yourself to this company?
- Find specific examples of reasons to work with them. This could include the company’s reputation, admiration for their products or services, wanting to work with their company values and culture, or being inspired by the company’s leaders.