When You’re Still Figuring Out Your Passion

Depending on where you’re at in your career—and personal life—you may not have a clear idea of your passions. Maybe you have several interests and hobbies but not one that sticks out as a main focus. Perhaps the things you used to be passionate about don’t excite you as much anymore.

If this sounds like you, Dea recommends thinking about where your time is focused. “Time is often a reflection of our priorities, and in many instances, our priorities are aligned to our interests and passions,” Dea explained. “If you don’t think you have a passion, ask yourself: Where do you spend your time? If you had a free day where you could do anything you wanted, how would you spend that time? That’s a good starting point.”

While you might not think you’re particularly passionate about anything at the moment, maybe you currently prioritize volunteering a few times a week. To tie this in with work-related skills, you could say something like:

“I have a few interests, but lately I’ve been spending quite a bit of time volunteering with the Humane Society. I love their mission and I love working with animals, so it’s been the perfect opportunity for me. While volunteering, I’ve honed my organizational skills in keeping the animals on a set daily routine, and have worked in compliance with the Humane Society safety procedures.”

Your answer doesn’t have to be something that altruistic. Suppose you spend a lot of time at the gym—you can try an answer like this:

“I put a high priority on my health, so I’m really passionate about fitness. I work out four or five times a week and keep a daily journal of my meals. This has helped me stay disciplined, learn what works for me and where I can improve, and keep track of my short- and long-term fitness goals.”