GCE is the big infrastructure of google as a service. Right now, It’s about providing compute and data storage needs you may have to solve data and computationally intensive problems. They provide consistent performance(on paper) at least compared to other clouds.
Some use cases not very different from what you would do with big data systems alike:
- Analytics using map-reduce like framework.
- Videos transcoding and rendering(which are computationally intensive).
- Computational biology problems like genomic sequencing.
- Clustering and classification problems.
- NLP/Machine learning problems.
- Distributed Crawlers.