MBA Interview preparation - Why MBA from a tech perspective

I am a technology-oriented person. For me learning new skills is an important part of growth and is almost mandated in this industry. I have already gained expertise in XYZ technologies and frameworks after having worked with ABC organization for close to 2 years. During this time span, I have learned a lot from the technological perspective but I have always admired the way my manager approaches the same situations and on conversations with him, it became clear that I had an inclination to learn more about business concepts and garner the managerial know-how of the same and see how the business perspective works in the tech industry.

Pursuing an MBA from a leading premier B-School would only serve to further hone and enhance my skills and eventually help me land a managerial position in the tech industry which is where I see myself in the future and where my skillsets and previous work experience would be put to more use.

For someone from the hardware industry, this could be a potential answer

I am a technology-oriented person with a solid background in Electronics and Communication Engineering. For me, learning is an important part of growth and is almost mandated in this industry. I have already gained expertise in hardware programming, testing after having worked with the ABC organization for close to 2 years. During this time span, I have learned a lot from the technological perspective but I have always admired the way my manager approaches the same situations and on conversations with him, it became clear that I had an inclination to learn more about business concepts and garner the managerial know-how of the same and see how the business perspective works in the tech industry.

Pursuing an MBA from a leading premier B-School would only serve to further hone and enhance my skills and eventually help me land a managerial position in the tech industry which is where I see myself in the future and where my skillsets and previous work experience would be put to more use.

You could be upfront and honest about it even if you mention that you seek a domain change or that you find yourself to be a misfit in the IT/hardware/software industry.

It is very common to see candidates who are unhappy with their jobs or who find themselves to be talented in some other domains still work in the IT industry as it provides a lot of jobs especially in the service sector

Interviewers are expecting the standard template answers and being honest would only do you a world of good. Introspect and analyze the reasons as to why you would want to move out of life being a software engineer to pursue an MBA

You can then use any framework to formulate your answers and weave them around with experiences from your life to get the interviewer more interested in this answer you have woven for them.

There are different portions and parts of an interview. It will start with personal, then going to land with your professional experience, then current affairs and critical approach with case-based questions and then technical/background-based questions. In this post, we will deal with the “personal aspect” of the interview part.

Think up answers to questions such as

• How is your educational background relevant to this position?
  • How has your work experience prepared you for this position?
  • Tell me about your managerial experience.
  • What makes you feel qualified to complete the primary tasks of this job?
  • How do you interact best with your superiors?
  • What factors do you believe help create good teamwork?
  • Tell me about any special skills you have that you believe can enhance your performance in this job.

Format your answers using the STAR interview method (sometimes also called SAR), which helps you answer interview questions using specific and concrete examples of your skills . Using this method helps you effectively tackle any interview questions in a few easy steps.

STAR stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. The STAR method gives the candidate a chance to paint a story, results in better engagement and an argument-backed answer to your words.

When asked a really good question and struggling to get an answer for it, ponder for a few moments before answering. Take time to reflect on your response, indicating to the questioner that they’ve asked you a good question, important enough for you to take some time to consider your answer.

amisha-verma-82753cad

24d

The personal questions have a subpart which is “Behavioral Questions”. The questions are based on how you acted in a specific situation.

They are meant to gauge how you react to stress, your skill level, and how you conduct yourself in both a personal & professional environment.

They also allow the interviewer to get a much better understanding of you as a candidate. Whenever you frame a story, keep in mind a few things to make a greater impact. If you tell something as your strength, it can be measured by multiple things. Give them points ot substantiate their judgment. Form your answers with below-mentioned things in mind.

1. Number of times you have shown it - (No. of incidents - School, College, Job,etc.)
  2. The impact that was created - (How much profit, big award, etc.)
  3. The Scope (Impacted organization or just a function. Award was national or state or college)
  4. Difficulty*/* Complexity of Work (The kind of obstacles you faced every time) If you can keep these four things in mind while preparing for your tell me about yourself, it will do much good.

There are some answers which the interviewer is looking for through the behavioral questions. Give them reasons to select you by sharing reason-based, story-backed, critical approached answers. Below are examples of various behavioral questions.

1. Were you able to solve a complex problem? If yes, then how did you do that? Were you able to identify the bigger problems very early based on a few symptoms? Or were you able to break the problem into multiple parts and find possible solutions for them? Or are you a very innovative person and were able to give many different ideas to your manager and understand the pros and cons of each one of them and finally one of them worked?
  2. Or did you go into detailed execution and ensure that everything was managed? How could you have done that? By anticipating all roadblocks that can come in your way and ensuring that there are no loopholes in the process or that at a very early stage, you had tried gathering all information to execute and make good decisions.
  3. Are you able to solve problems because you work well with others? For Example, Were you able to convince a lot of seniors or clients to get his/her work done? Or were you able to gather many ideas from different people in your huge network and, therefore, solve the problem with an optimum solution?