HOW TO Use blockchain to prevent unauthorized use of your code

Now that you have signed your code, secured it using blockchain, and have a comprehensive audit trail, you need to prevent unauthorized use of your code. Blockchain smart contracts accomplish this, as follows:

Smart contracts are open-source pieces of code with “If-Then-Else” conditions.
They are tamper-proof, moreover, they execute autonomously.
They transfer cryptographic assets based on the fulfillment of conditions, and their execution is irreversible. Read more about this in “Smart contracts”.
You can set up smart contracts to specify conditions that will only allow authorized parties to use your code.
There are several public blockchain platforms where you can code smart contracts.
You can develop “Distributed Apps” (DApps) on public blockchain platforms. Using these distributed blockchain applications, you can allow only authorized parties to use your code. I explained DApps in “How to convert a web app into a Dapp”.
Ethereum is the most prominent of these platforms, where developers can code smart contracts using Solidity or Vyper. You can read “Blockchain software development using the Ethereum network” to learn more about Ethereum development.
Other well-known public blockchain smart contract platforms are NEO, EOS, etc.
Blockchain developers can also code DApps using JavaScript on the Lisk. This is not a smart contract platform, however, programmers can integrate smart contracts with DApps running on Lisk.
Since late 2018, developers can set up Ethereum smart contracts using Hyper Fabric. I described this in “Using Hyperledger Fabric to setup Ethereum smart contracts”.
Developers can also use enterprise blockchain networks to code smart contracts. I have discussed these options in “What to plan for when undertaking blockchain software development