Cisco Product Manager Interview Questions & Experience Guide

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: San Jose (for final round)

Application Process: The application process was smooth and well-structured. The initial rounds were conducted on campus, followed by a final round in San Jose.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - PM Core Skills Interview:

    • Questions Asked: Focused on core product management skills, such as prioritization, stakeholder management, and problem-solving.
    • Your Approach: I emphasized my experience in product strategy and how I align product goals with business objectives. I also shared examples of how I handled cross-functional teams.
    • Outcome: Passed to the next round.
  • Round 2 - Cultural Fit Interview:

    • Questions Asked: Questions revolved around teamwork, adaptability, and how I handle ambiguity.
    • Your Approach: I highlighted my collaborative nature and shared instances where I adapted to changing priorities.
    • Outcome: Passed and was invited to the final round in San Jose.
  • Round 3 - Final Round (San Jose):

    • Questions Asked: Three back-to-back interviews with PMs, covering product sense, execution, and behavioral questions.
    • Your Approach: I structured my answers using the STAR method and tied my responses to real-world product challenges.
    • Outcome: Awaiting results, but the interviews felt productive and engaging.

Preparation Tips:

  • Brush up on core PM skills like prioritization frameworks (e.g., RICE, MoSCoW).
  • Practice behavioral questions using the STAR method.
  • Be ready to discuss past product experiences in detail.

Conclusion:
The overall experience was positive, with clear communication and a structured process. If I could do anything differently, I’d prepare more case studies beforehand. For future candidates, focus on articulating your thought process clearly and align your answers with the company’s product philosophy.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Location not specified]

Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal after seeing the job posting online.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - HR Screening:

  • Questions Asked:

    • Tell me about yourself.
    • Why do you want to work at Cisco?
    • What do you know about the role of a Product Manager at Cisco?
  • Your Approach: I focused on aligning my background with the role and highlighted my passion for technology and product development. I also researched Cisco’s products and culture beforehand.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Technical Interview:

  • Questions Asked:

    • How would you prioritize features for a new product?
    • Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision about a product.
    • How do you gather customer feedback and incorporate it into product development?
  • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided examples from my past experiences. I also emphasized data-driven decision-making.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the next round.

  • Round 3 - Case Study:

  • Questions Asked:

    • Given a scenario where a product is underperforming, how would you diagnose the issue and propose solutions?
    • How would you launch a new product in a competitive market?
  • Your Approach: I broke down the problem into smaller parts, analyzed potential root causes, and proposed actionable solutions. For the launch question, I discussed market research and differentiation strategies.

  • Outcome: Passed to the final round.

  • Round 4 - Behavioral Interview:

  • Questions Asked:

    • Describe a time you had to work with a difficult team member.
    • How do you handle conflicting priorities?
    • What motivates you in your work?
  • Your Approach: I shared specific anecdotes and focused on my problem-solving and collaboration skills. I also tied my motivations to the company’s mission.

  • Outcome: Received positive feedback and moved forward in the process.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research the company’s products, culture, and recent news.
  • Practice answering behavioral questions using the STAR method.
  • Brush up on product management frameworks and case study techniques.
  • Mock interviews with peers can be very helpful.

Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was thorough but fair. I felt well-prepared, but I could have spent more time practicing case studies. My advice to future candidates is to focus on storytelling in your answers and to be confident in your experiences. Good luck!

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Location (if applicable)]

Application Process: Applied through the company’s online portal. The process was straightforward, and I received a confirmation email shortly after submitting my application.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Initial Screening (HR Interview):

    • Questions Asked:
      • Tell me about yourself.
      • Why are you interested in this role at Cisco?
      • Describe a time when you demonstrated leadership in a project.
    • Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and focused on relevant experiences, tying them back to the role’s requirements.
    • Outcome: Passed this round and moved to the next stage.
  • Round 2 - Technical/Behavioral Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • How do you prioritize features in a product roadmap?
      • Share an example of a conflict you faced in a team and how you resolved it.
      • What metrics would you track to measure the success of a product?
    • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided specific examples from my past work.
    • Outcome: Successfully cleared this round as well.
  • Round 3 - Final Interview (Panel Discussion):

    • Questions Asked:
      • How would you handle a situation where stakeholders have conflicting priorities?
      • Describe a product you admire and explain why.
      • How do you stay updated with industry trends?
    • Your Approach: I emphasized collaboration and adaptability in my responses, showcasing my ability to work with diverse teams.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and an offer letter shortly after.

Preparation Tips:

  • Prepare clear examples of past experiences that highlight both soft and hard skills relevant to the role.
  • Research Cisco’s products and culture to tailor your answers.
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.

Conclusion:
The hiring process at Cisco was thorough but rewarding. The key was being well-prepared with specific examples and demonstrating how my skills aligned with the role. I recommend staying patient, as the process can be lengthy, but it’s worth the effort!

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: The application process involved multiple rounds, including peer reviews and interviews with reporting managers. There were also role-playing exercises to assess my fit for the role.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Peer Review:

    • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and why I wanted to join Cisco as a Product Manager.
    • Your Approach: I focused on aligning my past experiences with the responsibilities of a Product Manager and emphasized my passion for the role.
    • Outcome: Passed to the next round.
  • Round 2 - Role-Playing Exercise:

    • Questions Asked: Simulated a scenario where I had to prioritize product features based on customer feedback and business goals.
    • Your Approach: I used a structured framework to evaluate the features, considering factors like impact, feasibility, and alignment with company strategy.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and moved forward.
  • Round 3 - Interview with Reporting Manager:

    • Questions Asked: Deep dive into my product management experience, how I handle conflicts, and my approach to stakeholder management.
    • Your Approach: I shared specific examples from my past roles to demonstrate my problem-solving and collaboration skills.
    • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.
  • Round 4 - Role-Playing Exercise 2:

    • Questions Asked: Another simulation, this time focusing on negotiating with engineering teams to meet deadlines without compromising quality.
    • Your Approach: I balanced assertiveness with empathy, ensuring both sides felt heard while driving toward a solution.
    • Outcome: Successfully navigated the scenario and proceeded.
  • Round 5 - Final Interview with Senior Leadership:

    • Questions Asked: High-level questions about my vision for the product, how I would drive innovation, and my long-term career goals.
    • Your Approach: I connected my vision with Cisco’s broader objectives and showcased my enthusiasm for contributing to the company’s success.
    • Outcome: Received an offer for the Product Manager role.

Preparation Tips:

  • Practice role-playing scenarios to simulate real-world product management challenges.
  • Brush up on frameworks for prioritization, stakeholder management, and negotiation.
  • Be ready to discuss your past experiences in detail, focusing on outcomes and learnings.

Conclusion:
The interview process was rigorous but rewarding. The role-playing exercises were particularly insightful, as they mirrored real challenges I would face in the role. I learned the importance of balancing technical and interpersonal skills in product management. My advice to future candidates is to prepare thoroughly for simulations and be authentic in your responses.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through a recruiter who reached out for the role. The process included a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by in-person interviews with the hiring team.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Phone Interview with Recruiter:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Walk me through your current role and responsibilities.
      • What processes have you developed or improved in your current position?
      • What are your goals for this opportunity at Cisco?
      • What do you hope to achieve in your next role?
    • Your Approach:
      • I focused on highlighting my contributions to process improvements and how they aligned with the Product Manager role. I also emphasized my long-term career goals and how Cisco fits into that vision.
    • Outcome: Successfully moved to the next round.
  • Round 2 - In-Person Interview with Hiring Team:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Describe a challenging project you managed and how you handled it.
      • How do you prioritize features or tasks in a product roadmap?
      • How do you collaborate with cross-functional teams?
      • What metrics do you track to measure product success?
    • Your Approach:
      • I used the STAR method to structure my answers, providing specific examples of past projects. I also discussed my approach to prioritization and collaboration, tying it back to Cisco’s work culture.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and advanced to the final round.
  • Round 3 - Interview with Team Members:

    • Questions Asked:
      • How do you handle disagreements with stakeholders?
      • What’s your strategy for gathering user feedback?
      • How do you stay updated on industry trends?
    • Your Approach:
      • I shared examples of resolving conflicts diplomatically and my methods for staying user-centric. I also mentioned my habit of reading industry blogs and attending webinars.
    • Outcome: Awaiting final decision.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research Cisco’s product portfolio and recent news to align your answers with their goals.
  • Practice behavioral questions using the STAR method.
  • Be ready to discuss your current role in detail, especially process improvements and metrics.

Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was thorough but engaging. I felt well-prepared, but I could have researched more about Cisco’s specific products to tailor my answers better. My advice for future candidates is to focus on storytelling—make your experiences relatable to the role and company.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through an online portal and was later contacted by the recruitment team for further rounds.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Initial Discussion:

    • Questions Asked: The interviewers were excited to discuss the role with someone familiar with the organization and its processes. They asked about my understanding of the company’s operations and how I would align with the role.
    • Your Approach: I highlighted my prior experience with similar processes and demonstrated my enthusiasm for the role. I also asked clarifying questions to show my interest in understanding the team’s dynamics.
    • Outcome: The interviewers seemed engaged and interested in moving forward quickly.
  • Round 2 - Leadership Interaction:

    • Questions Asked: The leadership team asked about my familiarity with the operational details and history of the organization. They also inquired about my problem-solving approach in ambiguous situations.
    • Your Approach: I acknowledged the gaps in my knowledge but emphasized my ability to learn quickly and adapt. I provided examples of how I had tackled similar challenges in the past.
    • Outcome: The interviewers appreciated my honesty and proactive attitude, though they noted some areas where deeper knowledge would be beneficial.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research the company’s recent projects and operational structure thoroughly.
  • Be prepared to discuss your problem-solving skills and adaptability, especially in ambiguous scenarios.

Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was engaging, and the interviewers were keen to move quickly. While I could have prepared more about the company’s history, my enthusiasm and problem-solving approach seemed to resonate well. For future candidates, I’d recommend diving deep into the company’s background and being ready to discuss how you handle uncertainty.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: The application process involved three rounds of interviews. The first round was a screening call with the recruiter, followed by a second round with the project management team, and the final round with the PMO Director. Each round lasted approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Recruiter Screening:

    • Questions Asked: The recruiter asked about my background, experience, and why I was interested in the Product Manager role at Cisco.
    • Your Approach: I kept my responses concise and focused on highlighting my relevant experience and enthusiasm for the role.
    • Outcome: I passed this round and was moved to the next stage.
  • Round 2 - Project Management Interview:

    • Questions Asked: This round focused on my experience with project management, including how I handle deadlines, stakeholder communication, and prioritization.
    • Your Approach: I provided specific examples from my past roles to demonstrate my ability to manage projects effectively.
    • Outcome: I successfully advanced to the final round.
  • Round 3 - PMO Director Interview:

    • Questions Asked: The director asked strategic questions about product management, such as how I would align product goals with business objectives and handle cross-functional teams.
    • Your Approach: I emphasized my strategic thinking and ability to collaborate across teams, using real-world scenarios to illustrate my points.
    • Outcome: I received positive feedback and was selected for the role.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research the company’s products and recent developments to align your answers with their goals.
  • Prepare specific examples from your experience to demonstrate your skills in project and product management.
  • Practice concise and clear communication, as the interviews are only 30 minutes each.

Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was straightforward and well-structured. The key to success was being prepared with relevant examples and communicating clearly. I would advise future candidates to focus on their strategic thinking and ability to align product management with business objectives.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Location not specified]

Application Process: The hiring process was quite quick. The hiring manager was out of state, and the initial conversation lasted about 1.5 hours. After that, I spoke with two additional team members and met the local director before receiving the offer.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Hiring Manager Interview:

    • Questions Asked: The discussion was broad and covered various aspects of product management, though specific questions weren’t detailed.
    • Your Approach: I focused on showcasing my experience and alignment with the role’s requirements.
    • Outcome: Successful, moved to the next round.
  • Round 2 - Team Member Interviews:

    • Questions Asked: Spoke with two team members about team dynamics, collaboration, and role-specific challenges.
    • Your Approach: Highlighted my teamwork skills and problem-solving abilities.
    • Outcome: Positive feedback, advanced to the final round.
  • Round 3 - Director Meeting:

    • Questions Asked: Discussed strategic vision, leadership, and how I could contribute to the team.
    • Your Approach: Emphasized my strategic thinking and leadership experience.
    • Outcome: Received an offer shortly after.

Conclusion:

The process was smooth and efficient. The team was very welcoming, and the discussions were insightful. I would advise future candidates to be prepared for both high-level strategic questions and day-to-day operational scenarios, as the role of a Product Manager at Cisco seems to balance both aspects well.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: Virtual

Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal. The process was well-organized, and the recruiter provided helpful advice before the interviews began.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and interest in the role.

  • Your Approach: I focused on aligning my past experiences with the responsibilities of a Product Manager, emphasizing my problem-solving and leadership skills.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: More in-depth questions about product management methodologies, stakeholder management, and a hypothetical product scenario.

  • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided real-life examples to demonstrate my expertise.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.

  • Round 3 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Behavioral questions and a case study on product strategy.

  • Your Approach: I analyzed the case study thoroughly, asked clarifying questions, and presented a structured solution.

  • Outcome: Progressed further in the process.

  • Round 4 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Technical aspects of product management, including metrics, roadmaps, and prioritization frameworks.

  • Your Approach: I discussed relevant frameworks like RICE and OKRs, and how I’ve applied them in previous roles.

  • Outcome: Continued to the next round.

  • Round 5 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Collaboration and conflict resolution scenarios.

  • Your Approach: Shared examples of how I’ve handled team conflicts and driven collaboration in cross-functional teams.

  • Outcome: Moved forward.

  • Round 6 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Questions about market research and user feedback integration.

  • Your Approach: Highlighted my experience with user interviews, surveys, and data-driven decision-making.

  • Outcome: Advanced.

  • Round 7 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Leadership and vision for the product.

  • Your Approach: Articulated my vision clearly, linking it to the company’s goals and market trends.

  • Outcome: Proceeded to the final round.

  • Round 8 - Virtual Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Final behavioral and situational questions, including long-term career goals.

  • Your Approach: Stayed authentic and aligned my career aspirations with the company’s growth trajectory.

  • Outcome: Awaiting final decision.

Preparation Tips:

  • Reviewed product management frameworks (e.g., RICE, OKRs).
  • Practiced case studies and behavioral questions using the STAR method.
  • Researched Cisco’s products and recent market trends.

Conclusion:
The interview process was thorough but well-structured. The interviewers were professional and made the experience enjoyable. I focused on being clear, concise, and authentic in my responses. For future candidates, I’d recommend thorough preparation on both technical and behavioral aspects, as well as understanding the company’s product landscape.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through an online job portal. The process was straightforward, and I received a response fairly quickly.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - HR Screening:

  • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, why I was interested in the role, and my understanding of the product management role at Cisco.

  • Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and aligned them with the job description, highlighting relevant experiences.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Panel Interview:

  • Questions Asked: More in-depth questions about my previous work experiences, problem-solving skills, and how I handled challenges in past roles. Also, some scenario-based questions about product management.

  • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided concrete examples from my past work.

  • Outcome: Successfully moved forward.

  • Round 3 - Hiring Manager Interview:

  • Questions Asked: Focused on my ability to contribute to the team’s current goals, my leadership style, and how I prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment.

  • Your Approach: I emphasized my adaptability and gave examples of how I’ve managed competing priorities in the past.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the final round.

  • Round 4 - Director-Level Interview:

  • Questions Asked: High-level questions about my vision for the role, how I align with Cisco’s values, and my long-term career goals.

  • Your Approach: I tied my answers back to Cisco’s mission and demonstrated enthusiasm for the company’s direction.

  • Outcome: Received positive feedback and an offer.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research Cisco’s products and recent news to show genuine interest.
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.
  • Be ready to discuss how your past experiences align with the role’s responsibilities.

Conclusion:
The entire process was smooth and conversational. The interviewers were friendly and genuinely interested in my experiences. I made sure to tailor my answers to Cisco’s culture and goals, which I believe made a difference. For future candidates, I’d recommend being yourself and showcasing how you can add value to the team.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: NYC (for face-to-face interviews)

Application Process:
I applied through a referral—a current employee submitted my resume. Shortly after, I received an email to schedule phone interviews.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Recruiter Screening:

  • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, interest in the role, and familiarity with Cisco.

  • Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and aligned them with the job description, emphasizing my relevant experience.

  • Outcome: Passed and moved to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Hiring Manager Phone Interview:

  • Questions Asked: More in-depth questions about my experience, problem-solving skills, and how I would approach product management challenges.

  • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided examples from my past work.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.

  • Round 3 - Team Member Interviews:

  • Questions Asked: Technical and behavioral questions, including how I collaborate with teams, handle conflicts, and prioritize tasks.

  • Your Approach: I focused on demonstrating my teamwork and communication skills, as well as my ability to think strategically.

  • Outcome: Progressed to the final round.

  • Round 4 - Face-to-Face Interviews (Full Day):

  • Questions Asked: Five one-hour interviews with different team members, covering case studies, product strategy, and situational questions.

  • Your Approach: I prepared by reviewing common product management frameworks and practiced articulating my thought process clearly.

  • Outcome: Received an offer after this round.

Preparation Tips:

  • Brush up on product management frameworks (e.g., SWOT, prioritization techniques).
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.
  • Research Cisco’s products and recent news to tailor your answers.

Conclusion:
The process was intense but well-organized. I appreciated the thoroughness of the interviews, as it gave me a clear picture of the role and team. If I could do anything differently, I’d practice more case studies beforehand. My advice for future candidates is to prepare extensively for both behavioral and technical aspects and to stay calm and confident throughout the process.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through an online job portal. The process started with an initial call from an HR recruiter.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - HR Recruiter Call:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Tell me about yourself.
      • Why are you interested in this role at Cisco?
      • What experience do you have in product management?
    • Your Approach: I kept my answers concise and focused on my relevant experience and enthusiasm for the role. I also researched Cisco’s products and culture beforehand.
    • Outcome: Passed this round and moved to the next stage.
  • Round 2 - Hiring Manager Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Walk me through a product you managed from ideation to launch.
      • How do you prioritize features for a product?
      • Describe a time you had to handle conflicting stakeholder opinions.
    • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my answers and provided specific examples from my past work. I also emphasized my ability to collaborate and make data-driven decisions.
    • Outcome: Successfully moved to the next round.
  • Round 3 - Team Interviews:

    • Questions Asked:
      • How do you gather customer feedback for product improvements?
      • What metrics do you track to measure product success?
      • How do you handle tight deadlines and competing priorities?
    • Your Approach: I shared real-world examples and highlighted my adaptability and problem-solving skills. I also asked questions about the team’s current projects to show my interest.
    • Outcome: Advanced to the take-home project round.
  • Round 4 - Take-Home Project:

    • Task: Create a product roadmap for a hypothetical Cisco product.
    • Your Approach: I spent time researching Cisco’s existing products and market trends. I structured the roadmap with clear milestones and justifications for each feature.
    • Outcome: Submitted the project and was invited for the final round.
  • Round 5 - Final Interview (Project Presentation):

    • Questions Asked:
      • Walk us through your thought process for the project.
      • How would you handle resource constraints for this roadmap?
      • What feedback did you consider while creating this?
    • Your Approach: I presented my project confidently and addressed their questions with logical reasoning. I also welcomed feedback and showed openness to iterate.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and an offer for the role.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research Cisco’s products and recent news to align your answers with their goals.
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.
  • For the take-home project, focus on clarity and feasibility in your roadmap.

Conclusion:
Overall, the process was thorough but well-structured. I felt prepared because I focused on my past experiences and how they aligned with the role. For future candidates, I’d recommend practicing storytelling for behavioral questions and being detail-oriented in the take-home project.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through an online job portal. The process was straightforward, and I received a response within a couple of weeks.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Technical & Business Discussion:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Can you walk us through your resume and highlight your key contributions in past roles?
      • Describe a major project you worked on and your specific contributions to it.
      • How do you approach problem-solving in a technical and business context?
    • Your Approach: I focused on being concise yet detailed about my past experiences, emphasizing my role in key projects and how I collaborated with teams. For problem-solving, I shared a structured approach, combining technical and business perspectives.
    • Outcome: Passed this round and moved to the next stage.
  • Round 2 - Behavioral & Role-Specific:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Tell us about a time you faced a challenge in a project and how you resolved it.
      • How do you prioritize tasks when managing multiple projects?
      • What do you think are the key qualities of a successful Product Manager?
    • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to answer behavioral questions, providing clear examples. For role-specific questions, I aligned my answers with industry best practices and my personal experiences.
    • Outcome: Successfully cleared this round as well.
  • Round 3 - Final HR Discussion:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Why do you want to work at Cisco?
      • Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
      • Do you have any questions for us?
    • Your Approach: I expressed genuine interest in Cisco’s work culture and growth opportunities. For the 5-year question, I tied my career goals to the company’s vision. I also prepared thoughtful questions about the team and role.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and an offer.

Preparation Tips:

  • Review your resume thoroughly and be ready to discuss every detail.
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.
  • Research the company’s products, culture, and recent news to tailor your answers.

Conclusion:
The entire process was smooth and transparent. Being honest and well-prepared helped me navigate the rounds confidently. My advice to future candidates is to focus on clarity, relevance, and authenticity in your responses.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Not specified]

Application Process: Initially contacted by a recruiter, who performed the first phone screening. This was followed by additional phone screenings with someone at Cisco and the hiring manager. After passing these rounds, I was invited for on-site interviews.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Recruiter Phone Screening:

  • Questions Asked: General introduction, overview of my background, and initial fit for the role.

  • Your Approach: I kept my responses concise and focused on my relevant experience and enthusiasm for the role.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Cisco Representative Phone Screening:

  • Questions Asked: More detailed questions about my experience, skills, and how they align with the role.

  • Your Approach: I highlighted specific projects and achievements that demonstrated my ability to excel as a Product Manager.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the hiring manager’s screening.

  • Round 3 - Hiring Manager Phone Screening:

  • Questions Asked: Deeper dive into my experience, problem-solving approach, and cultural fit.

  • Your Approach: I provided examples of past challenges I’d faced and how I overcame them, emphasizing collaboration and results.

  • Outcome: Invited for on-site interviews.

  • Round 4 - On-Site Panel Interview (Three Engineers):

  • Questions Asked: Technical and situational questions about product management, teamwork, and handling conflicts.

  • Your Approach: I focused on demonstrating my ability to bridge technical and business needs, using real-world examples.

  • Outcome: Successfully moved to the final round.

  • Round 5 - 1:1 with Hiring Manager:

  • Questions Asked: Final assessment of fit, vision for the role, and alignment with Cisco’s goals.

  • Your Approach: I articulated my long-term goals and how they aligned with Cisco’s mission, while also asking insightful questions about the team and expectations.

  • Outcome: Awaiting final decision.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research the company culture and the role thoroughly.
  • Prepare to discuss your experience in detail, with a focus on problem-solving and collaboration.
  • Practice answering situational and technical questions relevant to product management.

Conclusion:
Overall, the process was thorough but fair, with a strong emphasis on fit and experience. I felt well-prepared, but I could have spent more time researching Cisco’s specific product lines to tailor my answers better. My advice for future candidates is to focus on demonstrating how your skills align with the company’s needs and to be ready for both technical and cultural fit questions.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Location not specified]

Application Process: Applied through an online application process. The company is well-known and frequently in the news, so thorough research was essential before applying.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Initial Screening (Phone Interview):

  • Questions Asked: Basic questions about my background, interest in the role, and familiarity with Cisco’s products and market position.

  • Your Approach: I prepared by researching Cisco’s recent news, financials, and product lines to speak confidently about the company.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Technical/Product Knowledge (Video Conference):

  • Questions Asked: Questions about product management frameworks, how I would handle specific product scenarios, and my understanding of Cisco’s target markets.

  • Your Approach: I reviewed product management basics and Cisco’s product portfolio to align my answers with their business needs.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.

  • Round 3 - Behavioral/Cultural Fit (Video Conference):

  • Questions Asked: Situational questions about teamwork, conflict resolution, and how I align with Cisco’s values.

  • Your Approach: I used the STAR method to structure my responses and highlighted experiences that demonstrated collaboration and adaptability.

  • Outcome: Positive feedback and moved forward.

  • Round 4 - Case Study (Video Conference):

  • Questions Asked: Presented with a hypothetical product challenge and asked to outline a solution.

  • Your Approach: I broke down the problem, identified key stakeholders, and proposed a structured solution with measurable outcomes.

  • Outcome: Successfully cleared the round.

  • Round 5 - Final Interview (In-Person):

  • Questions Asked: A mix of technical, behavioral, and situational questions to assess overall fit for the role.

  • Your Approach: I stayed calm, reiterated my preparation, and ensured my answers reflected both my skills and enthusiasm for the role.

  • Outcome: Received an offer!

Preparation Tips:

  • Research Cisco’s financials, recent news, and product lines thoroughly.
  • Brush up on product management frameworks and case study techniques.
  • Practice behavioral questions using the STAR method.
  • Be prepared for informal yet insightful conversations—Cisco’s interviewers are friendly but expect depth in your answers.

Conclusion:
The interview process at Cisco was rigorous but enjoyable. The informal and friendly nature of the interviews made the experience less stressful. I realized the importance of thorough preparation, especially understanding the company’s market position and product ecosystem. For future candidates, my advice is to dive deep into Cisco’s business and practice articulating your thoughts clearly—it makes a huge difference!

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through an online application process.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Situational Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • “Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple projects.”
      • “How do you handle disagreements with stakeholders?”
    • Your Approach: Focused on providing specific examples from my current role, highlighting my problem-solving and prioritization skills.
    • Outcome: Passed to the next round.
  • Round 2 - Behavioral Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • “Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it.”
      • “How do you measure the success of a product?”
    • Your Approach: Used the STAR method to structure my answers, ensuring clarity and relevance.
    • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.
  • Round 3 - Role-Specific Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • “What do you think are the key responsibilities of a Product Manager at Cisco?”
      • “How would you approach launching a new product feature?”
    • Your Approach: Researched Cisco’s product management framework beforehand and aligned my answers with their methodologies.
    • Outcome: Progressed to the final round.
  • Round 4 - Hiring Manager Interview:

    • Questions Asked:
      • “Why do you want to join Cisco as a Product Manager?”
      • “How do you stay updated with industry trends?”
    • Your Approach: Emphasized my passion for technology and continuous learning, tying it back to Cisco’s culture.
    • Outcome: Received positive feedback and moved forward in the process.

Preparation Tips:

  • Focused on situational and behavioral questions, practicing the STAR method.
  • Researched Cisco’s product management approach and recent product launches.
  • Reviewed my own experiences to ensure I had concrete examples ready.

Conclusion:
Overall, the interview process was smooth but varied depending on the hiring manager. I felt well-prepared, but in hindsight, I could have asked more questions about the team dynamics. My advice for future candidates is to thoroughly research the company and practice articulating your experiences clearly.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal after seeing the job posting.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Technical and Project Discussion:

    • Questions Asked:
      • Explain the projects you have worked on in detail.
      • How did you handle technical challenges in your projects?
      • Describe a scenario where you had to make a critical decision regarding a product feature.
    • Your Approach:
      • I focused on explaining my projects clearly, highlighting my role, the challenges faced, and the solutions implemented. For the critical decision scenario, I used the STAR method to structure my answer.
    • Outcome: Passed this round and moved to the next stage.
  • Round 2 - Management and Scenario-Based Questions:

    • Questions Asked:
      • How would you motivate your team during a difficult project phase?
      • Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict within your team.
      • How do you prioritize features when developing a product?
    • Your Approach:
      • For the motivation question, I emphasized empathy, clear communication, and setting short-term achievable goals. For conflict resolution, I shared a real example and explained the steps I took to resolve it.
    • Outcome: Successfully cleared this round as well.

Preparation Tips:

  • Brush up on your project details and be ready to explain them in depth.
  • Practice scenario-based questions using the STAR method.
  • Read up on team management and motivation techniques.

Conclusion:
The interview process was thorough but fair. I felt well-prepared for the technical and management rounds, but I could have practiced more real-life scenarios beforehand. My advice to future candidates is to focus on both technical and soft skills, as both are equally important for a Product Manager role at Cisco.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Not specified]

Application Process: The application process began with a phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by in-person interviews with the team and the manager. This was succeeded by an interview with the manager’s manager and concluded with an HR interview covering salary, relocation, and other formalities. The entire process was thorough and took some time to complete.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Phone Interview with Hiring Manager:

    • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and interest in the role. Some situational questions about product management scenarios were also included.
    • Your Approach: I focused on aligning my past experiences with the role’s requirements and used the STAR method for situational questions.
    • Outcome: Passed to the next round.
  • Round 2 - In-Person Interview with Team and Manager:

    • Questions Asked: Technical and behavioral questions, including how I would handle specific product challenges, teamwork, and conflict resolution.
    • Your Approach: I emphasized collaboration and problem-solving, providing examples from my previous roles.
    • Outcome: Advanced to the next stage.
  • Round 3 - Interview with Manager’s Manager:

    • Questions Asked: High-level strategic questions about product vision, stakeholder management, and long-term planning.
    • Your Approach: I highlighted my strategic thinking and ability to align product goals with business objectives.
    • Outcome: Moved forward to the final HR round.
  • Round 4 - HR Interview:

    • Questions Asked: Discussions about salary expectations, relocation preferences, and general fit for the company culture.
    • Your Approach: I was transparent about my expectations and ensured alignment with the company’s policies.
    • Outcome: Received a positive response and moved forward in the process.

Preparation Tips:

  • Brush up on product management frameworks and situational questions.
  • Practice the STAR method for behavioral questions.
  • Research the company’s products and recent developments to align your answers with their goals.

Conclusion:
The interview process was comprehensive and tested both technical and behavioral aspects. What worked well was my preparation and ability to relate my experiences to the role. I could have improved by researching more about the company’s recent product launches. My advice for future candidates is to be thorough in your preparation and stay confident throughout the process.

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: San Jose (for the second round)

Application Process: Applied through the company’s career portal after researching the role and company culture.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Product Manager Interview:

  • Questions Asked:

    • Why do you want to be a Product Manager?
    • Why Cisco?
    • Why are you the right fit for this role?
    • Design a product (x, y, z) and explain your reasoning.
  • Your Approach:

    • Focused on aligning my passion for product management with Cisco’s mission and values.
    • Used the STAR method to structure my answers about past experiences.
    • For the design questions, I broke down the problem, considered user needs, and proposed a solution with clear justification.
  • Outcome: Advanced to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Onsite Interviews with PMs:

  • Questions Asked:

    • Tell me about your product management experience.
    • Technical mini-cases (at least 3 per interview).
    • Market sizing questions.
  • Your Approach:

    • Highlighted specific projects and outcomes from my PM experience.
    • Tackled mini-cases by structuring my thoughts aloud and asking clarifying questions.
    • For market sizing, used a top-down approach to estimate numbers logically.
  • Outcome: The interviews were intense but insightful. Awaiting final results.

Preparation Tips:

  • Practice answering “Why PM?” and “Why this company?” concisely.
  • Brush up on case studies and market sizing techniques.
  • Familiarize yourself with Cisco’s products and recent news.
  • Mock interviews with peers helped simulate the actual experience.

Conclusion:

The process was challenging but rewarding. The interviewers were knowledgeable and pushed me to think critically. If I could do anything differently, I’d practice more technical mini-cases under time pressure. For future candidates, focus on clarity, structure, and confidence in your answers. Good luck!

Company Name: Cisco

Position: Product Manager

Location: [Not specified]

Application Process: The application process involved a 4-step interview process, starting with 2 phone call interviews followed by 2 on-site interviews. The recruiting company was very helpful in handling all the paperwork. The hiring process was a bit lengthy but worth the wait.

Interview Rounds:

  • Round 1 - Phone Interview:

  • Questions Asked: General questions about my background, experience, and interest in the role.

  • Your Approach: I focused on highlighting my relevant experience and how it aligns with the Product Manager role.

  • Outcome: Passed to the next round.

  • Round 2 - Phone Interview:

  • Questions Asked: More in-depth questions about my problem-solving skills and past projects.

  • Your Approach: I provided specific examples of challenges I faced and how I resolved them.

  • Outcome: Advanced to the on-site interviews.

  • Round 3 - On-Site Interview (Team Members):

  • Questions Asked: Met with multiple team members who asked about collaboration, teamwork, and technical aspects of product management.

  • Your Approach: I emphasized my ability to work in a team and my understanding of the product lifecycle.

  • Outcome: Positive feedback and moved to the final round.

  • Round 4 - On-Site Interview (Future Supervisor):

  • Questions Asked: Discussed long-term goals, leadership style, and how I would handle specific product challenges.

  • Your Approach: I aligned my answers with the company’s vision and demonstrated my leadership potential.

  • Outcome: Successfully passed and received an offer.

Preparation Tips:

  • Research the company’s products and culture thoroughly.
  • Prepare specific examples of your past work that demonstrate problem-solving and leadership.
  • Practice answering behavioral questions using the STAR method.

Conclusion:
The overall experience was very positive. The team was welcoming and made me feel at home. The process was long, but the support from the recruiting team and the clarity of each step made it manageable. My advice for future candidates is to be patient and thoroughly prepare for each round, as the questions are well-rounded and designed to assess both technical and interpersonal skills.