Can you tell me a bit about yourself? | PM interview questions

Question’s Purpose
A good PM can tell an impactive, succinct story about something complicated — and what is more complicated than you? How concisely and passionately can you can tell your story?

How to Answer
Create an elevator pitch that threads together the story of your resume. This is a powerful way to make a lasting statement about yourself.

Here’s one of my elevator pitches:

In a nutshell, my career is about helping and empowering developers to build amazing things. At company X, I was the team lead responsible for enabling our team to create world-class on-boarding materials for developers to create apps on our platform. At company Y, I led a team of tech writers and developers to build educational services and tools to teach developers how to build awesome integrations with our platform. And at company Z, I was the PM of dev experience that helped 3rd party devs go from zero to hero and learn build apps for our marketplace and make a ton of money.

Notice the structure of my response.

1. Strong and emotionally impactive thesis statement that’s one sentence long and focuses on the users I’m trying to help.
  2. Supporting points that outline my experience.
  3. Ordered experienced that maps to my resume (which they may or may not have actually read)
  4. Brevity — takes one minute to say the whole thing.

Be aware that your elevator pitch is incredibly hard to put together and very challenging to make it sound like it hasn’t been put together — if you know what I mean. Spend as much time as you need to make it work because it’s critical. I spent days on it and continually refined it every time I said it to a prospective employer.

Do leave a LIKE if this helped you, and don’t forget to drop in a comment if there are any suggestions!! :innocent: